The human and the humane...

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler

Loved this book.

Thankfully, I did not realize that Fowler had also written the Austen Book Club, a novel that I thought was banal and did not do Austen justice in so many ways. But I am digressing.

Other critics have found fault in the narrator seeming "off" - I thought that was a strength of the book. even before the big reveal, one senses that something is different that cannot merely be explained by having lost two siblings. I also likes the fact that this is in some ways an unwilling narrator who struggles to revisit certain memories. She discusses the quality of remembering, and the way (we all know) a photo of a moment can replace the memory of that moment. The fact that she divulges the details only piece by piece (by others perceived as deeply frustrating) was for me in a way quite satisfying because it allowed me to develop my own theories of what happened, and to examine my perceptions and beliefs.

It's not only memories that are put to the test, but also relationships and what we see in people, how we deal with grief and how we communicate. And humanity - the question of what is human and what is humane.

The language is deceptively simple and very engaging. Even though the narrator puts herself at some distance, I could relate and feel with her. And it certainly made me look closer at my next shopping whether that soap was tested on animals. Could not buy it.

[edited for spelling]